My name is Charlotte, sometimes known as Ms Lottie, occasionally as The Slightly Mad Quilt Lady. This is my blog, where you'll find me writing a lot about my quilting and textile arts and a little about my family's life in a small seaside town in New Zealand. Haere mai!

Thursday, May 19, 2016

How to bind a funny angled quilt.


This is a lozenge shaped baby quilt that I made for a friend.  When all the triangles were laid out on the floor I liked the look of it so much that I didn't want to square it up.  So it can be a funky playmate, or folded back for a bed quilt, a snuggly quilt for the car - anything really, but it meant that when it came to bind it I was dealing with non-right angled corners (120 degrees to be precise).


But it's pretty easy really to make nice neat mitred corners on these angles, just follow similar steps as to usual and you'll be done.


Sew the folded binding strip to the front of the quilt with a quarter inch seam using your walking foot just as you would for a square quilt.


Before you get to the first corner, put a pin in parallel and 1/4 inch away from the next side of the quilt.


Sew up to the pin and then take a couple of back stitches.  Take the pin out and take the quilt out from under the needle.


Fold back the binding strip away from the quilt so the raw edges of the binding strip are 180 degrees from the raw edges of the next side of the quilt.


Fold the binding strip back down so the raw edges of the quilt and the binding strip are aligned.  You will have this neat little tuck that you can see in the picture above (pin it if you need to).


Start sewing right from the edge of the quilt, taking a couple of back stitches across the tuck.  Continue sewing along until you get to the next corner and repeat the steps above.  Join the ends of your binding strips as you usually would.


When you fold your binding strip over to the back of the quilt, you will get a neat mitre in your corner on the front of your quilt.


And a neat mitre in the corner on the back of your quilt.  Pin (or clip using Clover wonder clips - I love them for binding) and hand sew your binding down.

Easy peasy!  So don't be scared of using different angles in your quilts or table runners.  The mitre works out just the same.


The bright orange backing is a built-in safety feature.  You never know when you'll need a high-vis blanket for signalling helicopters...

35" wide and 54" long point to point.

4 comments:

  1. Best explanation yet - might actually be able to follow this :)

    viv

    ps don't know if I'll get to Christchurch but will try if even just to see the exhibitions (and you of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the remark about a high vis signalling device.....you just never know.
    That was well explained and just the way I do it so that's always reassuring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have bound hexagon wallhangings this way - thank goodness for the walking foot attachments! Love the colours in this Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your photographs! Very swish. And I'll keep the orange/rescue alert backing in mind when choosing backings in future :o)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading comments, so thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a message :)
Due to a huge increase in spam, I've disabled anonymous comments. Apologies if this effects any real life readers!